August 2, 2011

Fuel Lines.


I struggled with fuel lines a bit.  My car is a 68 which didn't come with any metal lines.  The later ones had one metal and one plastic line.  10 years ago, I was afraid my plastic line was leaking.  I had a car rated fuel pump in the trunk, so there was 4-6psi in the plastic line.  Those plastic lines are rated to 3psi.  So I went to napa and picked up 2 6 foot sections of 5/16 brake line.  5/16 is pretty much 8mm which is what the stock fuel hose is.  With a bender from harbor freight and jack stands I was able to bend a line that went from the trunk along the driveline just past the center bearing.  I choose the driveline tunnel because I've seen fuel lines pinched by lifting the car at the factory jack points.  I don't recall it being a big deal at all.  A Saturday afternoon project when I had to drive the car the next day.  I used the standard tubing flare tool to put a small bubble to hold the rubber fuel line in place.

For the fuel injection project, I needed 2 lines.  After researching, I found aluminum isn't rated to fuel injection pressure. I called classic tube, but they wouldn't give me any technical info on their line.  It was much more expensive.  Since I couldn't find the material, thickness, and routing I gave up on them.  I went to summit racing and picked up their  25 foot galvanized double walled 5/16 hard line.  I figured that would be enough for 2 lines.  So I cut it in half and started bending.  I immediately broke my harbor freight bender.  I tried adding heat and  bought 2 more different benders which I also broke.  I finally found the only way to bend the line was with a 5/16 only refrigeration bender.  As I got close to the front, I realized the 12.5 foot length was 2 feet too short.  So I ordered 2 more rolls of the Summit hard line.  I finally go them into place, which much hard work, but there was a couple of pinches in the material and the routing wasn't as clean as I'd like.

I was looking at brake lines a while ago and found a place called inline tube.  I mention my fuel line to the guy and he told me to go measure it.  It turns out Summit sold me aircraft grade tubing that was much thicker in the wall than I should have.  He told me there was no way that could have been bend without a CNC bender.  I purchased some tube from them to replace the first installation.  Instead of being shipped in a tight roll, inline tube sells it with "shipping bends".  This made it much easier to straighten out.  The tubing was much easier to bend and form.  Inlinetube.com sells the good bender I ended up buying elsewhere.  To top it off, inline tube is half the price of the summit tubing, of which I wasted 3 25 foot rolls.

The moral of the story is if I had gone to inline tube first, I would have saved myself much work, stress and money.  They are very helpful and would recommend them to everyone.

This is a diagram of how I routed the lines.






In order to hold down the lines I used Kugel Components #6513701 5/16" x 5/16" Double clamp.



No comments: